Epic Wilderness is an outdoor-focused online publishing magazine reaching over 100,000 outdoor readers monthly. We strive to provide quality and helpful information to enrich our readers' outdoor experience.
As part of the outdoor community, we decided that we should play our part to ensure that the outdoor industry will continue to flourish and one of the best ways to do that is through a scholarship program.
Here are some of the key goals we hope to achieve with this scholarship fund program:
- Contributing back to the community that empowers our business, workforce and passion.
- Building interest in outdoor activities and sports among younger generation.
- Raising awareness on the importance of conserving and preserving natural ecosystem.
- Aiding students to reduce their financial burden as part of our CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) measure.
- Scholarship Fund: $1000-$5000 (will be decided by our panel based on winner's financial situation and other relevant factors).
- Winning Applicant: There will be only one winner per scholarship period.
- Scholarship Type: This is an annual scholarship launched in 2016.
- Fund Usage: Strictly for education expenses (including but not limited to tuition, books and stationaries, extra-curricular, club & accommodation fees.
How To Apply
In order to participate, students will be required to submit an essay between 1000-1500 words to scholarship (at) epicwilderness (dot) com. Only outdoor-related topics will be accepted.
Here are some fishing related articles for inspiration: Fish Finder Reviews, Best monofilament fishing line, Best fluorocarbon fishing line, best baitcasting reel and best braided fishing line reviews.
Contents in the essay should include:
- Your outdoor adventure (how did you first get started, what's your favorite outdoor sport, etc)
- Constructive opinions/arguments on the topic you are writing about
- Something unique, that helps to differentiate you from all the other applicants.
5-10 potential candidate will be selected (based on the level of passion towards outdoor activities, unique opinions and angles, and other relevant factors) and called up for a phone interview through Skype. We will notify you via your email address you use to send your essay. The final winner will be decided after the interview process.
Note: New datelines will be updated from time to time as this is an annual scholarship
June 30, 2017 - All students are required to send in the essay by this date.
July 30, 2017 - Potential candidates will be notified to prepare for the phone interview.
Aug 15, 2017 - All phone interviews must be completed by this date.
Sep 1, 2017 - The winner will be notified at this date. Your essay will also be featured on Epic Wilderness at this date (reaching over 100,000 monthly readers).
Responsible personal will contact you to arrange payment directly to the accredited institution as specified.
- Only students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program are allowed to apply.
- Students that are already on a full scholarship (scholarships that fully covers all expenses) are not allowed to apply for this scholarship.
- Students from any undergraduate or graduate courses are accepted.
While we understand that outdoor enthusiastic comes from all walks of life, a slight preference will be given to students that are currently undertaking courses with direct relation to the outdoor industry.
Examples of these courses include:
- Adventure Leadership & Outdoor Management (or equivalent)
- Outdoor Product Design & Development
- Environmental Science & Outdoor Recreation
A few words from John, founder of Epic Wilderness
I am pleased to announce the launch of Epic Wilderness "Outdoor Enthusiastic" Scholarship Fund that will hopefully be of help to talented and deserving students.
Honestly, I personally feel that more scholarships should be made available to help students deal with the ever rising education costs. We have plans to increase the scholarship amount if our financial circumstances permit us to do so.
Without further ado, I wish all applicants the best of luck !
Help us reach more potential students
One of the main purposes of this scholarship as stated above is to help deserving students. We have done our part and now it's your turn to spread the word out so more students can participate. If you run a blog or website for students (education tips, education official websites, NGOs, etc), we encourage you to feature this scholarship.
We also prepared a flyer below in which you can print it out and distribute to your friends and families that might need a scholarship. (Right click and select "save as" to download the flyer)